“Education either functions as an instrument which is used to facilitate integration of the younger generation into the logic of the present system and bring about conformity or it becomes the practice of freedom, the means by which men and women deal critically and creatively with reality and discover how to participate in the transformation of their world.” (Shaull, 2003, p.34)

Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Princess and the Frog

We took my three year old daughter to see Disney's The Princess and The Frog today. It was her first movie and she was very excited. I'll admit my bias before you read this post further. I grew up on Disney and have had a love for the fairytale based films since childhood. Even as an adult I become transformed into a child when watching these movies with my daughter. But even though I'm enjoying the experience, I can't turn off my brain while watching the movies and pick up so many small nuances that bother me. Do I really want my daughter watching movies that emphasize that the woman only becomes 'whole' when she falls in love with her prince? Life is only complete when the man kisses you? What about all the racial and cultural stereotypes that are portrayed in even the minor characters? How do all these elements affect my daughter's subconscious? 'It's just a movie' you might think, but it's so much more than that. Even though I purposely avoid buying my daughter commercialized toys and books like the plethora of Disney and Dora products available, these are all she seems to get when receiving gifts from others at holiday time. Just tonight her bedtime story was from her Disney Princesses "Stories of Friendship and Love" book. I cringed as I listened to my husband read a story about how Sleeping Beauty planned a lovely party for her and the Prince. "And they danced together all night long...." Blah! How much is too much and is it fair to limit it when it's so prevalent in society? An excellent read for those of you interested is "The Mouse that Roared: Disney and the End of Innocence" by Henry Giroux.

(and what about educators who incorporate pop culture into their classrooms as decorations...)

No comments:

Post a Comment