“Education either functions as an instrument which is used to facilitate integration of the younger generation into the logic of the present system and bring about conformity or it becomes the practice of freedom, the means by which men and women deal critically and creatively with reality and discover how to participate in the transformation of their world.” (Shaull, 2003, p.34)

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Hello world!

Well, here it is! After years of thinking about, writing, and publishing in paper format I've decided to start a blog about my passion...kindergarten! I think that it is probably one of the most important grades (and experiences) that young children will ever have. I hope that this blog will help inspire many of you to reflect upon your practice and evolve your program in order to encourage your students to explore, experiment, and reflect upon their experiences in the classroom. I believe in creating an early years classroom that encourages democratic and aesthetic exploration among young children. One of my favourite things to write about is how to create an equal, democratic early years environment. I believe in embodying Paulo Freire's problem-posing concept of education so that children are encouraged to create personal and collective understandings through active engagement with the world (inside and outside) around them.

No comments:

Post a Comment